Took up Bridie Murphy's invitation to visit the old St Joseph's Orphanage and Boys Home at Kincumber. Bridie works as a volunteer at the Education Centre Museum where she helps in researching and putting together a historical display depicting the history and artefacts of the St Joseph’s Home for Boys. St Joseph's Orphanage opened in 1887 and was run by the Sisters of St Joseph of the Sacred Heart, it ceased running as an orphanage in 1966. This year the museum was the winner of Gosford City Council’s inaugural Gosford City Heritage Awards for Excellence in Interpretation Projects.
After a visit to Bunnings, and a late lunch ,we went to the feeding of the Pelicans at Woy Woy. A visit then to Kmart (well it was just there) and then home.
|Bridie pointing out the old dormitories.|
|The original landing place where the old ferries, skippered by nuns, would |
drop of their visitors and supplies.
|Holy Cross Catholic Church, built in 1843, was the first church built in the|
Brisbane Water District. Holy Cross is one of the oldest Catholic churches in
Australia and has been in continuous use for over 160 years.
|Pelican feeding at Woy Woy.|
This fishing lure was caught in one of the pelicans.
|This one had a special hair-cut for the occasion plus some others who|
came for lunch.
|Pretty face, but watch out for the hook on the end of the beak.|
One of the birds gave the feeder a nasty cut on the her hand while we were there.